Gloves or utensils will be used for handling all ready-to-eat foods, except for those added to foods that contain raw animal foods which will be fully cooked, or other foods that are heated to 165°F.Gloves or utensils must be used when there are cuts, sores, burns, or lesions on the hands of food handlers.
All employees handling food or utensils must:
- Wash hands thoroughly prior to putting on gloves and when gloves are changed.
- Change gloves when:
- Beginning each new task (i.e. opening refrigerator door or building a new tray).
- They become soiled or torn.
- They are in continual use for four hours.
- Finished handling raw meat and before handling cooked or ready-to-eat foods.
- Utensils, such as spatulas, or tongs, and deli tissue may be used as an alternative to gloves when serving food.
- Cover cuts and sores on hands, including fingernails, with clean bandages.If hands are bandaged, clean gloves or finger cots (protective coverings) should be worn at all times to protect the bandage and to prevent it from falling into food.
The restaurant manager will:
- Purchase powder-free, non-latex gloves in sizest hat can be used by staff.
- Purchase appropriate utensils.
- Observe all employees daily to ensure that they are following proper procedures.
- Follow up as necessary.