All flatware, serving dishes, and utensils are washed, rinsed, and sanitized after each use. The machine for warewashing will be checked prior to each meal period to ensure that it is functioning properly.
Employees who use the warewashing machine will be responsible for knowing how to use the machine, document its use, and properly maintain it after use. Steps include:
- Fill dish machine tanks using the automatic filler prior to use.
- Run dish after being filled, but prior to being, until it reaches 110°F.
- Verify that soap and rinse additive dispensers have enough products for the day’s use.
- Scrape and rinse all items before placing them in the machine.
- Load the dishwasher racks. Avoid overloading or improper loading.
- Run a thermal strip on a tray or intertwined fork once each meal period. Check the thermal strip (or a t-stick reading at 160°F) after it has run through the machine to make sure it has changed to black, indicating that the rinse temperature is adequately hot. The strip should be taped on theTemperature Monitoring Form with temperature readings. If final rinse temperature does not meet the standard, do not run anything through the machine and report the problem to the manager immediately.
- Place rack in machine and close door.8.Record the temperatures for the wash, rinse, and final rinse cycles and the water pressure on the Temperature Monitoring Form. Temperatures should be at least:
- Wash -150°F with a cycle of at least2 minute.
- Rinse -170°F
- Final rinse-180°F. Note that for stationary-rack single tank or 1 compartment, single-temperature machines, water temperature of 160°F when contact with dishware. Final temperature should not exceed 194°F.A temperature sensor should turn black.
- Minimum water pressure for final rinse should be 15-25psi
- Record the date, temperature, and initial entry on the Temperature Monitoring Form.
- Run racks of dishes and flatware through the dish machine.
- Sort and transfer flatware to service canister with handles up; run through machine again
- Using clean hands, remove dishes from machine, and allow to air dry.
The restaurant manager will:
- Verify that the ware washing machine is functioning properly.
- Check the Temperature Monitoring Form to ensure that temperatures and pressure meet standards and that they are recorded daily.
- Follow-up as necessary.